Stereo Spatial Array IC
Texas Instruments Incorporated introduced an integrated circuit (IC) that converts a smartphone or tablet computer’s narrow soundstage into a much wider and exciting audio experience for consumers. The stereo spatial array IC and companion software tool enable mobile device designers to overcome the limited soundstage of closely spaced speakers by manipulating sounds in 3D space to create a bigger, more immersive cinematic experience. The LM48903 stereo Class D spatial array joins a family of innovative spatial audio ICs designed for space-constrained applications from smartphones to ultra-slim flatscreen TVs. For more information and to order samples, visit http://www.ti.com/spatial2-pr.
Key features and benefits
- Complete audio solution: IC integrates a spatial processing DSP, two Class D amplifiers, 18-bit stereo analog-to-digital converter (ADC), phase-locked loop (PLL), and I2S and I2C interfaces.
- Simplified audio effect programming: Easy-to-use software tool speeds development by eliminating the customer’s need for algorithm tuning and in-house DSP experts.
- Immersive audio effect: Enables differentiated products that defy physical system size to provide an expanded soundstage superior to competitive solutions.
- Integrated 2-W speaker drivers: Two Class D speaker drivers deliver 2 W per channel of continuous output power into a 4-Ohm load with less than 1-percent total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N) to simplify system design and reduce bill of materials.
Tools and support
The LM48903’s web-based Speaker Array Designer tool includes an easy-to-use coefficient generator that creates unique spatial audio coefficients in a few easy steps. Also included are Android drivers and an evaluation board with graphical user interface.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The LM48903 is available today in a 30-bump, 2.7-mm x 3.2-mm micro SMD package. Suggested retail pricing is $1.75 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Learn more about TI’s audio portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order LM48903 samples and evaluation modules: http://www.ti.com/lm48903-pr.
- Watch a video that explains how spatial audio works: http://www.ti.com/spatialvid-pr.
- See the TI audio portfolio: http://www.ti.com/audio-pr.
- Ask questions and help solve problems in the Audio Forum in the TI E2E™ Community: http://www.ti.com/audioforum-pr.