Power Transistors in 2×2-mm Package
NXP Semiconductors N.V. announced the industry’s first medium power transistors in a 2-mm x 2-mm 3-pin leadless DFN package. Offering a unique solution in an ultra-small DFN2020-3 (SOT1061) Surface-Mounted Device (SMD) plastic package, the BC69PA transistor is the first in a family of medium power transistors from NXP available in a miniature form factor.
Ideally suited for general-purpose power-sensitive applications in mobile, automotive, industrial and household appliances, the new DFN2020-3 (SOT1061) packaging can save up to 80 percent more space on the PCB compared to conventional SOT89 packages, while maintaining high electrical performance of up to 2 Amps. When mounted on state-of-the-art 4-layer PCBs, its thermal performance matches much bigger standard SMD packages and allows Ptot levels of up to 1.1 W in a tiny footprint. Driven by miniaturization in chip design, NXP’s ultra-compact medium power transistors offer design engineers a flexible power transistor solution for designs focusing on space saving, energy efficiency, and low heat dissipation. All NXP medium power transistors are automotive-qualified according to AEC-Q101.
“With our latest miniaturized medium power transistor, we continue to drive the market in compact components and in high performance low VCEsat transistors. NXP is the first vendor to offer such a broadly differentiated choice of transistors in a tiny 2-mm x 2-mm 3-pin package, significantly expanding design options for engineers,” said Joachim Stange, product manager, NXP Semiconductors. “In charging circuits of mobile devices, tablet PCs and automotive electronics requiring smaller ICs, designers can now choose a medium power solution and not have to trade off PCB space for functionality. Simple applications such as interior car lighting which require only 1-2 Watts can be powered by an ultra-compact medium power solution.”
Key Features of NXP Medium Power Transistors
- High current in a small leadless package with medium power capability
- Exposed heat sink for excellent thermal and electrical performance
- VCEO ranging from 20 V to 80 V
- High collector current capability IC (up to 2A) and ICM (up to 3A)
- Automotive AEC Q101 qualified
Pricing and Availability
- The new medium power transistors are available now. Pricing in high volume starts at USD $0.10.
- Offering greater power management through energy efficiency, easier circuit design and reduced component costs, NXP’s portfolio of low, medium and high-voltage transistors is ideally suited to any powered application. NXP’s small-signal bipolar transistors include its Low VCEsat BISS (Breakthrough In Small Signal) transistor range, its space- and cost-saving resistor-equipped transistors, plus a host of RF wideband transistor options.
Download the line card for medium power general-purpose transistors from NXP: http://www.nxp.com/documents/line_card/75017209.pdf