Power Module with Integrated Inductor
Texas Instruments Incorporated introduced a new 6-V, 6-A synchronous integrated power module with integrated inductor, which achieves an industry-best 750 watts per cubic inch and peak power efficiency up to 97 percent. The TPS84610 provides excellent thermal performance of 12 degrees C/W, which is 40-percent better than competing modules. The device simplifies telecom power designs for DSPs and FPGAs by combining the inductor and passives onto one lead frame, requiring only three external components for a complete, easy-to-design 150-mm2 solution. For samples and evaluation module visit: http://www.ti.com/tps84k-pr.
The TPS84610 supports input voltages from 2.95 V to 6 V, generates a low 0.8-V output and has an adjustable switching frequency from 500 kHz to 2 MHz. The 9-mm x 11-mm x 2.8-mm low-noise module meets EN55022 Class B electromagnetic emissions, allowing it to support noise-sensitive applications, such as broadband communications equipment.
Key features and benefits of TPS84610
- Highest power density at 6 A: Delivering 750 W/inch3 power density in a 150-mm2 solution size.
- Simple to design: Only three external components required.
- High performance: Up to nine-percent higher full-load efficiency and 40-percent better thermal performance than competitive solutions.
Expanding power module family
In addition to the TPS84610, TI also introduced four additional power modules with integrated inductors, including the pin-compatible 2-A TPS84210 and 4-A TPS84410, which support input voltages from 2.95 V to 6 V. The 3-A TPS84320 and 6-A TPS84621 modules support input voltages from 4.5 V to 14.5 V and output voltages down to as low as 0.6 V.
TI’s large point-of-load portfolio of voltage regulators and easy-to-use power modules ranges from SIMPLESWITCHER® wide-input modules and DC/DC converters to TPS84K integrated power solutions, such as the TPS84610. All are supported by evaluation modules, reference designs and easy-to-use WEBENCH® or SwitcherPro™ design tools.
Availability and pricing:
The TPS84610 is available in volume now from TI and its authorized distributors in a 9-mm x 1-mm x 2.8-mm QFN package. Suggested resale pricing is $6.50 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Speed design time with evaluation modules and power design tools:
- TPS84K evaluation modules:
- 2-A synchronous buck evaluation module: TPS84210EVM-002.
- 3-A synchronous buck evaluation module: TPS84320EVM-692.
- 4-A synchronous buck evaluation module: TPS84410EVM-001.
- 6-A synchronous buck evaluation module: TPS84610EVM-003.
- 6-A synchronous buck evaluation module: TPS84621EVM-692.
- Build a power supply design in less than 5 minutes with SwitcherPro online or desktop switching power supply design tool.
- Power Stage Designer™ online tool of most commonly used switch-mode power supplies.
- Join the TI E2E™ Power Community: http://www.ti.com/powerforum-pr.