Hot glue gun is an indispensable tool for electronics hobbyists and professionals. Reasonably priced glue guns (and glue sticks) are now widely available, but most of the low-end type have a serious drawback – the lack of a power status indicator! If you have enough skill level and patience, you can easily add a simple “Power ON” indicator to your glue gun. The indicator is nothing but a 230VAC operated 5mm LED.
Power ON Indicator Circuit and the disassembled Glue Gun
- Carefully unscrew the glue gun and remove the side cover
- Drill a suitable (< 5mm) hole in the side cover
- Assemble this little circuit as small as possible, and fit the LED in the side cover so that the LED slightly protrudes outwards
- Connect the input wires of the LED circuit in parallel to the ac mains cord of the glue gun
- Use heat-shrink tubing to cover all exposed connections
- Attach the side cover, and ensure that this modification will not hinder the normal operation of the trigger lever
- Finally screw the side cover on!
Temperature Status Indicator Circuit and Hacked Hot Glue Gun