Efficient Low-VF Schottky Rectifier
NXP Semiconductors N.V. launched the most efficient Schottky rectifier available in the ultra-small and flat 1.0 × 0.6 × 0.37-mm plastic SMD package DFN1006D-2 (SOD882D). The 20-V, 0.5-A PMEG2005BELD Schottky barrier rectifier is the smallest on the market with a maximum forward voltage of 390 mV at 0.5-A forward current, offering increased battery life and performance. With high-efficiency electrical characteristics never before reached in this size, the low VF Schottky rectifier is ideal for mobile, battery-driven devices such as smartphones and tablets that need to reduce overall power consumption in limited PCB board space. The ultra-compact Schottky rectifier combines a low forward voltage and a low reverse current of only 50 µA at 10-V reverse voltage and is ideal for backlighting displays in smartphones, MP3 players and tablet PCs.
“Board space inside today’s smartphones is very limited. We designed this latest low-VF Schottky rectifier based on customer requests to put the characteristics of products two generations larger into a smaller 1006 (0402)-sized plastic package without sacrificing performance. As a result, we have set a new benchmark for low forward voltage in this small leadless package, offering 20 percent more efficiency than other products available in this size range. To achieve these excellent electrical parameters, we had to optimize the silicon wafer process and package assembly,” said Dr. Wolfgang Bindke, product marketing manager for diodes at NXP Semiconductors.
Robust and compact, the PMEG2005BELD features NXP’s unique tin-plated, solderable side pads. These tin-plated side pads are attractive to manufacturers because they enable visual inspection of solder joints. Solderable side pads also allow for tighter contact onto the PCB with less tilting and stronger shear force robustness.
- Average forward current: IF(AV) = 0.5 A
- Reverse voltage: VR = 20 V
- Low forward voltage VF = 390 mV at 0.5 A forward current IF
- Low reverse current IR = 50 µA at 10 V reverse voltage VR
- Qualified according to automotive standard AEC-Q101
- Longer battery life due to reduced power consumption, as a result of low forward voltage
- High packing density onto the PCB due to form factor and excellent thermal conductivity
- Permits small distance PCB stacks with high stack density, due to extremely low height of device (0.37 mm)
- Allows optical inspection of solder joints due to tin-plated side pad of DFN1006D-2 (SOD882D) package
- The PMEG2005BELD is currently available and in mass production.
- Datasheet PMEG2005BELD Low VF MEGA Schottky barrier rectifier http://www.nxp.com/pip/PMEG2005BELD
- Leadless ultra small plastic package DFN1006D-2 (SOD882D) http://www.nxp.com/packages/SOD882D.html